Income Verification Challenges-OPM

February 19, 2021

The United States Office of Personnel Management (OPM) is an independent agency of the United States Federal Government that manages the US civilian service retirement benefits.

It is important to note that Federal employees did not pay Social Security taxes before 1984. Some state and government employees are covered by both Social Security and their government pensions. To be eligible, at least 5 years of creditable civilian service needs to be completed. OPM manages these benefits.

Challenges communicating with Social Security are common, sadly, it can be even more difficult to connect and communicate with OPM.

An important key is the claimants CSA (Civil Service Active) number – this is a 7 digit number and must be included on all correspondences to/from OPM.   If the applicant is a survivor of an OPM recipient, OPM will issue a CSF (Civil Service Final) number. This number is like a Social Security number. If you have a client/resident who receives OPM – please be careful to save letters containing the OPM number – it will likely prove important some day!

There is a process to secure Representative Payee authority with OPM similar to Social Security – use form RI-207 to apply. (see link below)

Requesting help from OPM can be challenging, call 1-888-767-6738 or go to:

Be persistent!

RI20-7 Rep Payee Application